Episode 176: Micro Front Ends with Josh Thomas
Josh Thomas helps explain Micro Front Ends. Why are they simpler? What issues are micro front ends solving? Whether they're a good option for existing projects or more for new apps? And how do micro front ends work with the mobile web?
Recording date: March 10, 2022
John Papa @John_Papa
Ward Bell @WardBell
Dan Wahlin @DanWahlin
Craig Shoemaker @craigshoemaker
Josh Thomas @Jthoms1
Brought to you by
- 02:06 Guest introduction
- 04:05 What is Micro Front Ends?
- 04:37 Why is it simpler?
- 06:25 What challenge or issue is this solving?
- 07:30 Is it a good option for existing projects or for new apps?
- 08:28 Sponsor: Ionic
- 09:00 What is greenfield vs brownfield?
- 11:57 What do you pass to micro front ends?
- 15:15 How do you decide when to break something apart?
- 16:48 What are some of the difficulties in doing this?
- 17:54 Sponsor: Ag Grid
- 18:53 How does this apply in the mobile web?
- 20:27 What is modular federation?
- 25:46 Does it happen for marketing reasons?
- 30:39 Final thoughts
Podcast editing on this episode done by Chris Enns of Lemon Productions.