Episode 164: Rising, Stumbling and Getting Up Again: Life as a Tech Manager
Andre Young talked with us about becoming a manager in tech, how to prepare for working in management, resources that have worked for him, how someone could get ready to become a manager, and communicating with your team and supervisors on larger projects.
Recording date: Dec 9, 2021
John Papa @John_Papa
Ward Bell @WardBell
Dan Wahlin @DanWahlin
Craig Shoemaker @craigshoemaker
Andre Young @Dreyoung79
Brought to you by
- 01:28 Guest introduction
- 04:27 Becoming a manager in tech
- 06:52 Sponsor: Ag Grid
- 07:57 What's the advantages of being a tech manager?
- 08:51 Why be a people manager?
- 12:06 How do you prepare for management?
- 13:23 Any resources that worked for you?
- 17:13 Sponsor: IdeaBlade
- 18:09 How do people skills factor into management?
- 22:21 How would someone be ready for a leadership role?
- 27:29 How do you communicate with your team vs supervisors?
- 32:50 How do you make sure everyone's contributing to the same goal?
- 36:06 Final thoughts
Podcast editing on this episode done by Chris Enns of Lemon Productions.